Saturday, July 25, 2015

Ginger Tea

I had a migraine on Saturday (it happens fairly frequently for me unfortunately) which means that I was not feeling well at all. For me, a migraine often comes with nausea, pain, vertigo, and sensitivity to light and sound. Since I am attempting to back off of medications and look for more natural alternatives I decided to brew up a batch of tea for the nausea once the pain began to recede (I haven't found anything non-medication to help with the pain yet so there was some pain medication involved in that bit). Since a natural anti-nausea aide can be useful for others as well I decided to share a recipe for ginger tea today. Ginger root can be found with other root vegetables in your local market. 

INGREDIENTS:
1 Tbsp Fresh Grated Ginger (Peeled)
2 Tbsp Honey
2 C Filtered Water

Optional:
Fresh Mint, Cinnamon Stick(s), or Lemon/Citrus Juice

PROCEDURE:
1. Put the kettle on to boil with at least 2 C of filtered water.
2. Peel a small piece of fresh ginger with a peeler, the back of a spoon or a small paring knife.
3. Grate ginger. You will need 1 Tbsp of ginger for this recipe. 


NOTE: Do not sub ground or dried ginger in this recipe
4. Place ginger in large cup or teapot. I have soup cups that I use for my ginger tea personally as I like to drink it throughout the day... even after it is cold. You can use a tea infuser if you would like if you do not want bits of ginger in the bottom of the cup once it has finished brewing.
NOTE: If you are using the mint or cinnamon stick(s) place these in as well.


5. Pour boiling water over the ginger.

6. Brew for about 10 minutes.
7. Add honey and stir well. You can sub stevia or simply leave out the honey if you so choose but if you have a cold and are coughing the honey will help. Citrus will also help cut through mucus. For that reason you may want to add lemon juice to your tea if you have a cold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Refresh/New Location

Hey guys! I've moved my blog over to Weebly for a restart (everything here is already moved over there!) and to expand the possibiliti...