Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Isolator Fitness Isopack: 10 Months of Use Review Update


It's been about 10 months since I did an initial review of the IsoPack so I figured it was about time I update you on how the pack is holding up, how/if I'm still using it today and etc. 

Short answer is yes, I still use it during the week and when I travel. Having everything in one place makes things so much easier for me as I have mentioned before and if I prep on the weekend then all I have to do is switch out the medication pod each morning, fill my water bottles and the lunch box area each morning and I'm out the door. I love it!

I don't carry as much in my bag these days as when I first started carrying it though. Over the past 10 months I've been working out what I actually need and what is unnecessary or redundant because I have it elsewhere. For instance, I have lessened the number of cords I carry in my electronics bag and found a USB charger that works with all of them... less bulk and weight than my original bag for electronics that had the cords that came with everything I might need to charge while out. A few other changes: fewer organizer bags, smaller (and fewer) salty snacks and electrolyte replacement options, less gadgets, and a more space efficient way to carry my workout clothes.


The bags I currently have in my bag are:
  • Medical 
    • This one is pretty much the same as it was before. The differences are simple: it has a few more essential oils than it did earlier this year and my blood pressure cuff has been removed. It doesn't fit in there properly in the case so it isn't in an organizer bag now.
  • Make-up
    • Much simpler selection with just one option of everything I might need to freshen up for a last minute meeting at work. No muss, no fuss, no extra baggage.
  • Electronics bag
    • I already mentioned the changes to this one. It used to be completely full but now it has room to spare after paring down the selection in the bag and using rubber bands to keep cords from tangling up. I did add an emergency charge/battery to this bag as I was having issues with my car charger for a while but everything is back to working again thankfully. 
  • The "everything else bag" 
    • This one has neck coolers, an ankle brace, some tissues, a salty snack, my glasses and electrolyte drink tabs and powder. 
  • Other things in the bag:
    • Workout clothes in a drawstring bag that also contains my phone's neoprene arm band
    • Blood pressure monitor
    • Stethoscope... which I can probably remove but I just haven't. I was having some issues with irregular rhythms for a while and my sister suggested carrying one during that time frame (she's a nurse and wanted me to listen for a specific pattern when my bp cuff said 'Irr. Rhythm Detected').
The front larger pouch I use as my 'purse' in that it contains almost everything I would have in a purse (and that come out quickly to be tossed in a purse on the weekend for church or etc.  
  • Wallet, checkbook, hand fan, ear buds, daily meds pod, emergency meds container, my keys, sunglasses, contact case, and a pen.
The smaller front pouch is more meal related:
  • Salt and Pepper shaker
  • Spork
  • Pop up cup (for electrolyte drinks... they don't do so well in my water bottles if I use a tab due to the fizz created as it dissolves)
  • If I have a specific plan for the day that would require an additional protein bar, non-refrigerated snack, or etc. it might end up in this pouch as well. 
So, on to the question of how do I feel about this bag now: I still love it. The bag isn't perfect of course but it does it's job and is holding up to daily use better than I expected it to. Some non-positive things I've noticed about the bag this year are below but none of them would have made me change my mind on the option I chose.
  • Some of the rigidity of the bottom/meal portion is gone now of course as it isn't designed to keep it's shape... but I knew that when I purchased the bag and made the decision that it fit my lifestyle better. 
  • The lunchbox is a little more difficult to clean than I imagined it to be as I can't soak it and the seams can get messy if something comes opened.
  • My new computer is a bit too wide to fit comfortably in the Isopack (and it makes it heavy to carry around), but it does still fit with some wrangling, so I only use that feature when I'm traveling or have a meeting that requires my laptop at the moment. The rest of the time I carry paperwork and the like in that area of the bag. It's not a big issue to me as I don't typically need to bring a laptop around with me. When/if I go back to teaching or have a job that requires bringing a laptop everywhere I will just opt for a lighter laptop. 
  • I also had the clip on the chest strap break. Awesome customer service though, they simply sent me a new clip in the mail when I called- no questions asked and an apology given. I was quite pleased actually with their service representatives actually.
All in all I am quite happy with my purchase and would purchase this bag again. Though maybe in a bright color this time instead of the blackout... my personality has come back with a vengeance in the last year (it's been great rediscovering who I am again!) and I would be ok with a few random odd looks for a giant bright pink backpack now. Color makes me happy! :)


If you are interested in the original review series for the Isopack vs the Expedition 500:
Part One: The Isopack
Part Two: The Expedition 500
Part Three: The Comparison

Here's the post about packing for a trip (so you can see what I had in my organizer bags before).

If you are interested in checking out the Isopack on Amazon here's a link: 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Refresh/New Location

Hey guys! I've moved my blog over to Weebly for a restart (everything here is already moved over there!) and to expand the possibiliti...