Friday, August 7, 2015

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

As I already discussed in a previous post, I am just starting out on my Paleo baking journey but I love cooking and baking so I am always trying out new recipes and variations. Here is a variation of the apple spice cake that actually turned out quite different in the end as a pineapple upside down cake. Again, I understand that a lot of people who eat a Paleo diet abstain from butter and other dairy products, but I do not. I stick to a high fat, low carb real-food inspired Primal/Paleo/Ancestral style of eating that allows for quality dairy. If you don't do well with dairy then you can go back to coconut oil in equal amounts as the butter and the consistency will work just fine.
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon, plus some for dusting if desired
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 C Almond flour
1/4 C Coconut flour
2 Tbsp Arrowroot powder 
1/2 C raw honey, divided
1/4 C real maple syrup
2 tsp lemon juice
4 large eggs
1/4 C melted butter
1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
4-6 slices of pineapple, plus 1/2 C crushed for topping if desired

PROCEDURE:
1. Core and slice your pineapple if you did not purchase it sliced. I used the Pineapple Corer I reviewed here.


2. Juice about half a lemon (again, I was making more in the photo than necessary as I was planning on using it for additional recipes... work smarter and not harder right?).


3. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

4. Mix all dry ingredients other than baking soda in a bowl.
5. Mix all other ingredients except the pineapples and syrup in a second bowl. You will only use half of the honey (1/2 C) at this time.
 

6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl slowly while combining. Mix until smooth and well combined.
*When I took the photos I added the spices after combining but realized this was unnecessary... so there is slight discrepancy here but it gives you an idea of the consistency. (I made both the apple cake and the pineapple cake on the same evening to take in to work for a treat so they have many of the same photos.)
7. Slightly oil the baking pan you are using. You can use butter, coconut oil, etc.
8.  Mix remaining syrup and honey together and spread in the bottom of the pan.

9. Place your pineapple into the bottom of the pan. I don't like cherries particularly well so did not use them but feel free to do so... or get creative in the design of your pineapple pieces even! I love cooking because it is creative and fun... have fun!

10. Bake in the oven for about 5-8 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and pour batter over the pineapple, smooth and return to the oven to bake for another 15-20 minutes. Depending on the dimensions of your pan you may need to adjust the cook time. Thicker cakes will take longer to cook through. The cake needs to be browned on the top and firm throughout or it will be too moist to eat as a cake once it cools.
12. Allow the cake to cool before removing and flipping the cake to make the pineapples right side up. 

I had a bit of a kitchen mishap when I flipped mine and it did not look very pretty as a result (people who are klutzy should not attempt to flip cakes, just sayin'... next time I'll take a photo of how it looks completed. Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Refresh/New Location

Hey guys! I've moved my blog over to Weebly for a restart (everything here is already moved over there!) and to expand the possibiliti...