Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Rotisserie Spice Rub

It get's costly to purchase a store bought rub or spice mix any time I want to make something (and there are usually added sugars and other chemicals that I don't want to eat) so I mix my own spices in bulk for things I make regularly. For me this means that, in addition to the dozens of individual spices I have in my cabinet, I have small mason jars of mixes and rubs in the pantry all of the time. It saves me money but, even more importantly on days I get home tired and need to cook still, it saves me time and effort. $1.50 for a packet of taco seasoning or $0.25 or less using quality ingredients and no fillers... let me think... easy decision, right? Right now I only have a couple homemade mixes on the shelf as I have been a little lazy lately and just thought "I'll do it later" when I ran out of things but I have: BBQ dry rub, Rotisserie rub and taco seasoning. This is the recipe for the rub I used on tomorrow's post on the Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken. One note: It does cost more upfront to purchase all of the ingredients to make your own spice mixtures but the per portion cost is lower... so if you are like me and on a budget it might be easier to start with one mix at a time and see how often you use it before mixing up another batch of something so that you don't have unused spices sitting for months on end.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 Tbsp dry mustard
  • 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper 
  • 3/4 C sea salt
  • 1/4 C Italian seasoning... if you want to make it yourself just add equal portions of basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme, and parsley together and store in an airtight container. For this recipe you can add in the following to replace the store bought mix:
    • 1 1/2 tsp basil
    • 1 1/2 tsp marjoram
    • 1 1/2 tsp oregano
    • 1 1/2 tsp rosemary
    • 1 1/2 tsp sage
    • 1 1/2 tsp thyme
    • 1 1/2 tsp parsley
  • 1/4 C paprika (smoked has the best flavor)
  • 1/4 C onion powder
  • 1/4 C garlic powder
  • 1/2 C ground black pepper
PROCEDURE:
1. Mix all spices together well. You can use a spoon, a whisk, or (if you want a really fine powder that is more consistent) you can even use a Magic Bullet or other processor. 


2. Store in an airtight container. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Refresh/New Location

Hey guys! I've moved my blog over to Weebly for a restart (everything here is already moved over there!) and to expand the possibiliti...